Planning Advisory Services
UK: 0800 038 5315
ROI: 0044 800 038 5315

Current Legislation

There is legislation that governs standards of construction and there may be several that apply to any one project.

New or Altered Premises

Building Regulations relate to new developments or alterations within existing properties and are required to ensure certain standards are met. Building Regulations are made under powers in the Building Act. Planning permission may also be required.

Party Wall Act

Certain types of building work close to or directly affecting the boundary or party wall of a premises may also be covered by the "Party Wall Act". This will place obligations on those carrying out the work.

Sustainable & Secure Buildings Act

This act has been recently introduced and can affect new and altered premises.

Existing Premises

Existing domestic properties could be covered by the Housing Act. This is enforced by the local housing authority.

Fire Safety Legislation

Existing non-domestic premises are usually covered by general fire safety legislation and will be enforced by the local Fire and Rescue Service. More information can be obtained from the Communities and Local Government (CLG) website regarding the Housing Act and Fire Safety.

Health & Safety Legislation

Non-domestic properties will be subject to health & safety legislation and further information is available from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) website.

Construction Sites

Certain construction sites are subject to the Construction Design and Management regulations (CDM). These are enforced by the & Safety Executive (HSE) and more details on site safety are available on their website.

Building Regulations and Approved Inspectors Regulations

The Building Regulations 2000 and Building (Approved Inspectors etc) Regulations 2000, are made under The Building Act 1984, and apply in England and Wales. They set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

The Department has published The Building Regulations Explanatory Booklet which provides an introduction to the Building Regulations in England and Wales only and is intended for anyone proposing to carry out building projects.

Planning Advisory Services Booklet
Planning Advisory Services Booklet

To request a copy of your local Planning Advisory Services Information Booklet then please send us a request by clicking here. Make sure to include your name, full postal address and telephone number.

Carbon Footprint Tool
Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust have created a carbon footprint tool that allow groups of individuals to measure their carbon emissions and workout their community carbon footprint. To use the community carbon footprint tool then please click here.